It’s been exactly two years since the article about #FASL was first written. So much has happened since then: so many stories, events, puns, gossip, cricket and politics all wrapped in different tweets by different kinds of tweeps all making a mark in history in their own individual way.
TweetupSL is going to be celebrated for the 4th time this September (Updated – happening on 7th Dec 2013) as many in the twittersphere would know. That in itself has a history of over 3 years for the Sri Lankan twitter community. And for those who have been on twitter before that, the events that had unfolded have been sweet/bitter memories, forgotten moments, life changing instances that few may know about.
We’ve also had an explosion of businesses popping into Twitter in Sri Lanka in 2011. Many of those stories are also interesting milestones for the Sri Lankan tweeps.
Many of us would now look back at the inception of our twitter journeys and ponder ‘Wasn’t it a bit peculiar to begin with?’, ‘What was life like before I got addicted to twitter?’. Time has indeed passed us by with many an activities with the online community, with a few happening offline too.
Then there are the growing new twitter users who ultimately get involved and have a jolly good time with local hashtags, take part in free food events and talk politics/cricket to name a few engagements. Some get to know the past activities of other twitter users, some remain clueless.
All in all, from a few people to clicks of batch mates, they all end up on twitter and form part of the Sri Lankan twitter community.
Being on twitter since Feb 2009, a few things got me thinking that with such an active twitter community, it would surely be fascinating to encapsulate the various experiences/stories into one entity in the form of a book. But the only way this would truly be possible to capture most of the instances would be, if the Sri Lankan twittersphere help in sharing their stories (mini-tweetups, local hashtags, life changing moments etc..).
So, what do you say? Want to be part of a project where we can create a historic book which we can proudly keep as a worthy memorabilia?
Here is how you can get involved:
- Dig into your twitter account (you can use your twitter archive option too if allowed) and unfold some memorable moments on twitter.
- Finally you can even use that ‘Favorite’ option that you’ve pretty much being using like the facebook ‘Like’ and uncover some tweets which you found fascinating.
- Maybe you are already remembering a few memories of some of the fun times you had, go find those tweets.
- Once you are ready to share them, you can tweet to @gihangamos about it or use the hashtag #TweepSLbook (would recommend both)
- A book wouldn’t be complete without pictures in it so do send your pictures too so that they can be included in the book (Naturally all pics sent by
@sudaththa will automatically be rejected)
- Hope you can spread the word about it too so that many can be part of this.
Oh and this book will be ready in time for TweetupSL 4! And to make it a truly memorabilia one, a separate section will be reserved in the book for details of all that register for TweetupSL4 with profile pic and twitter handles included. Use that section to get signatures of the tweeps you meet maybe?
So let’s do this, shall we?
p.s – Permission will be sought from tweeps if their tweet is involved before it is published in the book.
Disclosure – To cover publishing/printing costs, the book will be available for a very nominal price
Current tweets for #TweepSLbook