English proficiency is one of the most important skill one should acquire in the modern society to communicate effectively and efficiently to a global audience. Two of the most prominent aspects of it are writing and speaking. We observed that in the current educational system, more emphasis is put on the writing aspect of the language. People sometimes find it bit difficult to improve their English speaking since little effort is actually directed towards it.
At Udubaddawa Nisala Nenasala we want to change this curriculum to a more balanced approach concentrating equally on both speaking and writing of English. Our syllabus is structured in a manner in which the students get the chance to speak more and enhance their speaking skills.
With the school vacation in progress now, we thought of organizing an English Reading Competition for the school students. This aligned perfectly with our initiative where 2013 was named as “Reading Year” for us at Udubaddawa Nisala Nenasala.
Students awaiting their turn while one of their friends is performing in front of the panel of judges.
We categorized the pool of students according to the grade they are studying at school and assigned them selected paragraphs that were on a separate page of Nisala Nenasala DELC Monthly magazine. During the first week of August, students were given the opportunity to practice the paragraphs they were given and volunteer resources persons were able to select students who performed better for the second round. 136 students out of 900 students were selected in this manner for the second round. Preliminary rounds were held at the DEL centers located in their respective villages. Second round of the competition was held on 21st Wednesday at Udubaddawa, where we managed to select 21 students who excelled .
In this competition, the students were evaluated on the following criteria:
II. Passage Reading
D) Sense and Expression
Award Ceremony recognizing the students who performed outstandingly well during the competition was held on 28th Wednesday, at Udubaddawa Nisala Nanasala. All 21 students who were selected in the end were presented with a certificate and an English reading book.
We would like to especially mention the online participation of Mr. Isura Silva, Manager of Sarvodaya Fusion who joined the award ceremony through Skype. He informed the audience about the importance of English in the modern world and how he mastered the language.
After the award ceremony, we asked the students about how they felt regarding this competition and knowledge they gained through this. They unanimously said, this was certainly helpful for them and they enjoyed taking part in this. All in all it was a very successful event and we had enormous pleasure organizing and seeing how the students enjoyed themselves while gaining knowledge.
Group photo of the 21 finalists who won certificates and gift items at the Award Ceremony
The initiative of empowering Sri Lankans through information and communication technology was initiated eight years ago under the guidance and leadership of His Excellency Mahinda Rajapaksha, the President of Democratic and Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. Nenasala Wisdom Outlets (Telecenters) which adopt the theme of “Global knowledge to village” held the prestigious “Nenasala Pranama Swarna Sammana 2013” on 26th of July at the Mount Lavinia Hotel. The main objective of this felicitation ceremony was recognize the service of the owners, managers and operators contributing to this concept.
During this ceremony, Udubaddawa Nisala Nenasla was selected as the best provincial Nenasala in the North Western Province. There are over 70 Nenasala centers established within the Kurunegala and Puttlum districts. “Udubaddawa Nisala Nenasala of Sri Indrarama Temple” was presented the Nenasala Pranama Swarna Sammana in appreciation of the dedication and incomparable service rendered by the institute towards uplifting educational, social and economic status of the area. We were presented with this tremendous award by the Minister of Telecommunication and Information Technology, Honorable Ranjith Siyambalapitiya who was also the chief gust of the ceremony.
Representing the Information and Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka, chairman Professor P.W. Epasingha, Chief Executive Officer Mr. Reshan Devapura and Head of Communications and Media Mr. Athula Pushpakumara were also present.
We want to pay our sincere gratitude to those who admired, guided, facilitated and were beside us all throughout our endeavors. Your support was indeed a great catalyst for us to march towards this glorious achievement.
- The chief Incumbent of Sri Indrarama Temple, Justice of Peace Most Venerable Kalugalpitiyee Sujatha Thero and the all regional chief incumbents of the Udubaddawa A.G.A. Division.
- Information Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka
- Nenasala Project Consultant Mr.J.K. Perera
- Nenasala Project Manager Mr.Gaveshkar Subramanium
- Nenasala Project Officer Mr.Janaka Perera
- Nenasala Project Officer MS.Gayani Perera
- Sarvodaya Fusion of Srilanka
- Managing Director of Sarvodaya Fusion Dr. Harsha Liyanage
- Manager of Sarvodaya Fusion Mr. Isura Silva
- Deputy Manager of Sarvodaya Fusion Ms. Maithree Malwaththegoda
- Business Development Officer Mr. Madushan Wejerathna
- Coordinator for Mobile 4D Mr. Udara Dharmasena
- Common Service Coordinator Mr. Danesh Maduranga
- Sanasa Development Bank of Srilanka
- Chairman of Sanasa development bank Dr.P.A. Kirivandeniya
- Branch Manager of Kuliyapitiya SDBL Mr. Prasad Hemantha
- All the other officers of Kuliyapitiya SDBL branch
- Gamos Technology Solutions and Gihan Book Shop of Sri Lanka
- Managing Director Mr. W.G.T. Fernando
- My dear colleagues & dedicated staff of Udubaddawa Nisala Nenasala
- Deputy Manager Mr. Suranga Niroshan
- Executive Officer Mr. Nilupul Dananjaya
- Common Service Coordinator Mr. Asela Fernando
- Teacher In Charge Mr.Thusitha Kumara
- Teacher In Charge Mr.Saminda Weerasingha
- All the English Teachers of Udubaddawa Nisala Nenasala
- My Loving Family Members
- Loving Mother Malkanthi Jayathilaka
- Loving Wife Gayani Panawala
- Loving Son Thisum Athsara
- Udubaddawa Divisional Secretariat Office
- A.G.A. Mr.D.A. Nayananada
- Planing Director Mr.Priyangith Abesekera
- All the staff of Udubaddawa Divisional Secretariat Office
- Udubaddawa Pradeshiya Sabawa
- The Chairman Mr. Raj Sisira Kumara
- Deegalla Nenasla Owner
- Youth Officer Mr. Lal Premasiri
- All the students and parents who were with us in the past and are with us in the present.
The Nenasala Felicitation Gold Awards 2013 (Nenasala Pranama – Swarna Sammana) will be held tomorrow (26) at 9 a.m. at the Mt. Lavinia Hotel. The objective of the awards is to give due recognition to the service rendered through the ‘Nenasala’ wisdom outlets, according to the ICT Agency of Sri Lanka (ICTA).
Telecommunication and Information Technology Minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya will grace the event as Chief Guest, while owners and operators of Nenasalas set up island-wide will be the recipients of awards at the gala. More than 50 awards will be presented at different levels including the best island-wide, the best province-wise and the best district-wise. A special award, the ‘Professor V. K. Samaranayake Award’, is also among those eyed by the owners and operators of the Nenasala wisdom outlets.
More information could be found via www.nenasalapranama.lk. Currently, 699 Nenasalas have been set up throughout the country.