Google is making its presence known in Sri Lanka in various ways starting from supporting entrepreneurs, assisting universities to many other activities including policy development. Under the Google for Education initiative, Google Students Ambassador (GSA) program is an exciting opportunity for undergraduate/postgraduate students to act as liaisons between Google and their universities. GSAs have the opportunity to enhance their professional development, leadership, and communication skills, and access to a unique network of Google Ambassadors across the world. Google is calling for applications for GSA in Sri Lanka!
What do GSAs do?
Google Student Ambassadors get involved in various activities, which are exciting as well as learning experiences for the students. If you are an undergraduate/post graduate student with a passion to learn about technology, this is an exciting opportunity for you, because one of the key focus areas of GSA is to learn about innovative Google products and programs. Are you a fun loving person with passion to organize and host events? GSAs also get involved in planning and hosting fun events in their universities. In addition to these, GSAs also act as a campus contact for Google teams, which means there is a potential to network and also be exposed to Google’s culture. Google wants to understand how universities work in the local context and such understanding is also facilitated through GSAs where they help Google better understand each university’s culture.
GSAs also have the opportunity to participate in various student events organized by Google at international level. Search Summit 2013 was one such event, which was held in Hyatt regency Yogyakarta, Indonesia, and ten GSAs from Sri Lanka participated in this event. Check out our article on Experience of Search Summit 2013, written by a participant.
Want to become a GSA? Here is what you need to have!
- You need to be a full-time undergraduate/postgraduate student. This does not mean that you need to be an IT student. This could vary from majors in Computer Science to Anthropology, Business to Zoology!
- You also should be able to commit 10 hours per month for Google evangelist work.
- GSAs also require familiarity with Google products including but not limited to Google Docs, Chrome, Search, and YouTube. You need to be enthusiastic about Google products! You should be someone who is thrilled by technology. This means you need to know the Google product portfolio in and out!
- GSAs also need have an active social media presence where you need to be an active user of Google+, which is Google’s own social media platform.
- In addition to this, ideal GSAs are also involved with student organizations and activities.
Have you got what it takes to be a GSA? Click here to apply.
More information can be obtained here. Applications are open until 7th April 2014.